13 November 2007

Premonition (2007)

Mennan Yapo's (whose??) film earned 5.6 points on the imdb (13/11/2007). Despite I was skeptic about this weak result I always found an excuse not to see this. And then Gábi's suggestion explained that the film might fit into my research on non-linear narratives, so I decided.

"I hate surprises" - tells the first sentence, but from a viewer's position I didn't want to agree with this, especially not in a connection of a thriller. At this point I need to add that I'm really irritated by Sandra Bulldog, so the first impressions combined with the very very average and more predictible 'mysticalthrillerlike' music were quite bad. Then the movie started and I felt some hope.

Don't afraid, I won't tell the story, but without killing any jokes I can summarize the idea behind the plot. The idea which is very challenging: I guess the film tried to elevate the premonition as a mental phenomenon into a narrative. Sooner or later the movie industry will exploit all the medical terms - just think on the Deja Vu (deja vu), Memento (anterograde amnesia), Identity (multiple personality syndrome) and so on. Unfortunately the Premonition cannot grow up next to its predecessors. Its biggest mistake: it changes its genre from thriller to romantic drama. We receive our usual portion of visual and any kind of hints. Let's see two examples:

Ok, thank you,
it's really a puzzle narrative...


And do not push into my face: I recognized Velazquez's Las meninas immediately...

Is the premonition connected to the fate? If it is, is there any chance to change our destiny? Do we have an unreliable narrator? Is Sandra Bullock really a bad actor?:) If you need answers, just watch the movie which is still worth because its tricky narrative.

But on the whole my premonitions didn't fail me about this film. The imdb has right:

6/10

(thanks to Gábi for the tip - and I'd like to ask all my visitors to inform me about the possible movies which could be part of my interest on every kind of non-linearity. thanks in advance)