08 November 2007

First Snow (2006)

"You've been expected me, right?" - what else we could start our conversation with a fortune teller?

Do you wanna know how you gonna die? I bet everybody was thinking about this question more or less. The issue for Jimmy Starks (Guy Pearce) is getting serious, I mean dead serious.

Maybe you don't know too much about the director. Did anybody hear the name Mark Fergus? The First Snow is his first and – until now – last movie, but his contribution as a screenplay writer gave bigger importance to him. The Children of Men was one of the most brainy film recently and I think nobody needs to introduce the next year's big hit. Yes, as one of its writers he is responsible for the Iron Man too.
But what we have here? Fergus delivers a fate-story of Jimmy, the self confident jukebox dealer, who hasn't got too much time left (Fate movie? My clue is: 'your life is predestined, so it's definitely not a jukebox'. Got it?). The more scepticism of a protagonist, the more dramatic effect when he needs to change his mind... Welcome to Hollywood!
"One thing is certain. [He is] safe until the first snow..." I cannot tell more, because eventually I'd like to convince you to give a chance and watch.
I believe I don't need to mention that in Hollywood every fate and destiny has its reason. Yep: Jimmy's search in his past and limited future is about finding out the cause which delivers the deadly effect. Simple, isn't it? I admit the story is not the most complex what I've ever seen, but the directing, characters (Mahone rulez:)) and some well placed jokes compensate enough.
It's not a 12 Monkeys or Ringu-type fate-brightness, but six (almost seven) out of ten is worth to give.



6/10