25 November 2007

Murder, My Sweet (1944)

"I felt pretty good... like an amputated leg" – grumbles Marlowe, and we know immediately what kind of movie we are watching.

Today another Chandler classic on the screen from 1944. The title of the original novel of Chandler was Farewell, My Lovely – Dmytryk had to change not to mistaken with a musical with the same title (there are two other film adaptations from 1942 and 1975). Dick Powell played the protagonist's role in the musical as well – maybe better than here in the movie version. Unfortunately in Dmytryck's film he is far not so cynical as I would like to see a Marlowe-like character (even not mentioning Bogart's embodiments). His lines are quite ok, but the acting is weak (I'm not wondering that 70 minutes needs him to earn the first kiss:)). Well, sometimes he just find the right tone, for example when he is attacked by a hothead client:

- I'm afraid I don't like your manner!
- I've had complaints about it. But it keeps getting worse.

but he is not rough and tough enough. That's all my problems which is enough to ruin the whole film.

The story follows the classic film noir pattern: starts with a huge flashback which is the protagonist's, namely Marlowe's fabula itself. Seemingly the last weeks weren't the private eye's best ones. First he is hired by a giant dumb guy, Moose Malloy, who tries to find his lover, Velma, who disappeared 8 years earlier. And the avalanche starts to slide: there are coming other mysterious figures with secretive wishes... I won't give any spoiler if I tell you: all the jobs and names are heading into each other's direction. Now you see: this film isn't as original as for example Wilder's masterpiece, the Double Indemnity. In the Murder, My Sweet we have a cool detective, a deadly blonde, a hostile police chief and a bunch of bad guys, but nothing any genuine idea. The only reason we should watch this film should be Marlowe's character, which – as I suggested earlier – isn't convincing enough. He has 'chandlerish voice' (did you noticed that the voiceover narrator starts to talk as soon as the protagonist left alone?), but this time not so sharp as he is in The Big Sleep (Bogart) or in the unique Lady in the Lake (Montgomery).

Do you want to know how to lit a match-stick with the help of a putto-sculpture's bottom? Watch the movie! Otherwise I'm sure you will find better film noir than this in your collection.


5/10