05 November 2007

Mysterious Skin (2004)



I don't know where to start. Maybe the best would be like this: Do not watch this "movie"! Or maybe it is enough? Ok, let me explain it a bit more detailed.
Gregg Araki's film from 2004 is a typical independent arty-farty big nothing. I have nothing against the indies, I just really sick of those ones which cannot step over their boring, always repeated topics like "the painful beauty of homosexuality" or "the traumatic childhood's haunting" and so on, you exactly know what I'm talking about. (More about the more and more predictable independent movies by Richard Corliss click here, and shoot here for Bordwell's answer.)
What we have here? We are following the UFO freak Brian's and the teenage homo-hooker Neil's parallel lifes from 1981 until '91 or what, which - you won't find out - will collide during the development of the film. Doesn't deserve more, really. Maybe I should give a """huge""" spoiler about the end to be sure you won't watch it, to save your time (and probably your life).
Anyway, don't listen to others, especially not those who gave 8 (!) points average on the imdb (my try was because of this). Bad directing, even worse acting (the bastards even destroyed my positive view on Chloe). The biggest enjoyment was for me to give 2 points for it.

2/10