06 August 2008

Quicktime Movie Player #1

(This new approach represents the survival period of the blog. Since my duties are obtaining more and more time from my precious blog (noo, not from watching movies!), these quickies will substitute longer reports on my movie experiences. Hope you'll ike them too. Let's see the last days crop.)


- Night and the City (Jules Dassin, 1950). I've thought it's gonna be another noir (not if I would have any problems with film noirs), but it turned out as a very well directed whirlpool drama of Harry Fabian, a small time hustler with ambitious plans but an overwhelming imagination. The culminated end I'll never forget. Give extra attention to the otherwise underrated Gene Tierney, Preminger's (and my) darling actress!

8/10






- The Sure Thing (Rob Reiner, 1985). Classic, at least in terms of my socialization: This movie is one of my favourite ones from my teenagerhood. And it's still working. It seems that John Cusack's early appearence convinced not only me. It was really worth to watch again: the scene when Walter receives a compliment about his shirt was mistranslated in my early VHS version. The original sounds even funnier:)

10/10







- Boogie Nights (Paul Thomas Anderson, 1997). Another re-watched classic. If every tenth year I decide to watch my favourite movies soon I'll be in trouble, but at least I won't have time to watch new ones. And here comes the beautiful surprise info of the day: PTA's regular cinematographer, Robert Elswit (got deservedly an Oscar this year for There Will Be Blood) was the photographer of Reiner's above mentioned The Sure Shot! Pow! No new words about the film, if you missed it until now, you'll have a movie of the day. 

Small remark: please check the version of the copy you're planning to watch: "DO NOT BUY REGION 2 EDITION!!! For starters, it has been heavily cropped. Originally filmed in 2:35:1 widescreen, some numbnuts has decided to crop it to 1:85:1, meaning it loses a lot of the picture. Along with that, the colour has been muted heavily, which makes it look pretty shoddy." Thanks for the info to SandyRing85.

9/10