18 December 2007

Direktøren for det hele / The Boss of it All (2006)

3–2–1, this will be a short review.
The story as simple as the movie is: there is a small company which owned and organized by one of its employee, who is coward to uncover himself front of his colleagues. When the situation is getting indefensible, he needs to introduce The Boss of it all...

Lars von Trier's film is nothing more than a simple situational comedy. Trier is much more than this. He knows this too when he says his reflexive-like apologies at the end:

"I would like to apologize to those who wanted more and to those who wanted less."

I wanted definitely more, especially from the director of Europa (from 1991!). But wait, if I look back, I need to realize that after this masterpiece he couldn't prove his talent anymore (you may not agree with me in this...).

Very briefly about the style: we have everything here what we learned by the Dogma-films. I feel this "random-cinematography" just not enough anymore... Even if you call it Automavision. What is it? Geoffrey Macnab tells it better than me:
"it was made without a cameraman. The director was using a new process, "developed with the intention of limiting human influence", which he has called Automavision. This entails choosing the best possible fixed camera position and then allowing a computer to choose when to tilt, pan or zoom. "For a long time, my films have been handheld," he explains. "That has to do with the fact that I am a control freak. With Automavision, the technique was that I would frame the picture first and then push a button on the computer. I was not in control - the computer was in control."

Let's see some talkative stills:



I suppose you don't need this technical hocus pocus to have this result...

Finally the points. There isn't any chance to influence or motivate the director, otherwise I would give only five out of ten. I'm 100 % sure that he could do better than this.
Anyway, there are always miracles: "Lars, you could do better than this. And you exactly know this..."

5/10