21 October 2007

3:10 to Yuma (2007)




You have to watch it!
Actually knowing James Mangold's movies I expected this kind of quality. The "Identity" is one of my favorites, but Russell Crowe is pretty close behind Cusack's back. I haven't seen the original version (Delmer Daves, 1957), maybe after this enthusiasm I'll sacrifice another two hours for it.
I don't know how you feel, but for me Mangold's version haunted Zinnemann's "High Noon" (1952) all the time. Of course both are using the same deadline-narrative but there are more similarities, at least around how they build up their atmospheres. I can confess that I'm not a (big) western fan, that's why my keen words count double.
Bordwell has right (as usual): Mangold is coming from classic Hollywood storytelling with high attention to his characters psychology, playin with sudden shifts between sentiment and humor.
The eyes of Ben Foster shouldn't come into my dreams...



10/10