10 February 2008

Punch-Drunk Love (2002)

"-I don't like myself sometimes. Could you help me?
Barry, I'm a dentist."

Did I tell already that PTA, namely Paul Thomas Anderson is a genius?! The order how I've seen his movies is: Magnolia, Boogie Nights, Punch-Drunk Love (today) and ... There Will Be Blood (during next week I promise – I mean for myself). Impressive list. But let's focus this time only his strange "love story".

If PTA is a genius then Adam Sandler is a prick. I just can't stand his way of acting (mostly the films are responsible for my hatred), but at lest his face is really irritating. Then look at the poster of a movie and you'll understand me why I waited so long to watch Punch-Drunk Love. But luckily the director's name convinced me...

I won't tell so much about the story, should be enough to mention that it based on a real case of David Phillips, who made a fortune from a coupon action in the USA. He bought 12150 pudding for 3000 Dollars and earned 1.25 Million air-miles on a frequent flyer program:)) Strange story isn't it? If you think, then multiply ten times this oddity and then you can have a clue what kind of character is Sandler's Barry Egan. I said I hate him. But not this time. My new theory is: there aren't bad actors just bad movies.

And this one is very good. The word 'very' stands for: special and unique. The amazingly strange starting, the perfect style (actually some technical accidents gave parts of the style), the weird blue colors, the playful lens flares, and the constantly rolling music which makes even crazier the whole stuff. Absolutely recommended, especially for those who don't believe in a valuable love story on the Hollywood canvas anymore.


9/10