23 October 2007

The Killing (1956)

Today was another typical grey monday so I din't want to ruin it more as it is already. Back at home in Hungary the fight just started on the streets: sad thing, maybe one day we can celebrate the '56 revolution without throwing molotov-coctails. My idea is more peaceful how to remember to 1956 - taking no risk I decided to watch something from Kubrick. Choosing his horsetrack-robbery masterpiece from '56 I couldn't make any mistake.
I remembered well that this one is better than the "Killer's Kiss", but my memories made me wrong: this one is an astonishing classic piece especially with its way of storytelling. The seeds of the network-narrative (almost 40 years before the deified Tarantino), the different pov's repetitions (2 steps forward 1 back), the mixture of documentary and feature elements are all serving a perfect plot, which here isn't only a narrative term: the plot is the perfect plan itself! The whole movie is about planning, to building up a flawless plan, an accomplished story. The diegetic world - Kubrick's name is a guarantee - 100% authentic: Weegee-like death stills, archive footages from the horserace-field, news-type narrator.
Instead of all my admiration I had to remove one point. Yes, it's about how "Mr. Muggles" solves the crime...
Believe me it's a must see.
"Johnny, you gotta run!"
"Yeah, but what is the difference?"
9/10